dinsdag 31 januari 2012

De Slegte: Interactive Books - digital and analog

I've been to 'De Slegte', a big book store in The Hague, where they have over 3000 different books, and a lot of second hand books.
I wanted to look at 'analog interactive books', what sort of interactions do they facilitate and which of these can you find back in 'digital interactive books'.



This book had nice pull and push cards to create some sort of animation or change in the picture. It also contains furry fabrics that are excellent for sensory play, but which is hard/impossible to create digitally.

This book does it more the other way around. It is an analog book, but it 'suggest' that is is interactive in a creative way that would be better suited for digital media. That makes it fun.

I love both of these, the one above is a book, where they really played with size. The other one I will tell you about in a few seconds.



I've also looked at other media than Interactive Books for the Ipad and online, I wanted to find examples of storytelling that are not referred as as 'interactive books'. These kind of examples could be a good inspiration for my project.

Hobolobo Some sort of webcomic. I just LOVE the way you can scroll through the story. The story is divided into chapters and every chapter is one long page with nice illustations which you can scroll through, text appears ad some points (so it's not always part of the illustration) and the perspective scrolls with you (like in the student game Hollandia). After you read through the chapter, you can click on the next one. In chapter 3, music also starts, in the beginning it's not that loud. But you're actually scrolling towards a point where the music comes from. Also images and animations appear sometimes, which really create a mood.
I think this is one of my favourite examples so far, I just love to play with this 'webcomic'. It is so much fun to scroll though the page, see how perspective reacts on me. I actually already had some ideas that are really comparable to this way of interacting.
Only thing I have trouble with, is the way you can navigate through chapters, I can only go to the next one, while sometimes I want to skip directly to, for instance, the 7th chapter.



PID I'm very inspired by the lightning of this game. Maybe we can use some way of interacting with lights. Or something else. But I do think it's important that there is some 'thin red line' in the form of an interaction that is continius through the story. In games you've also got your 'standard' game play, for instance shooting. And I think in that way a game gets more 'one'. What I see in a lot of Interactive Books is that every page has it's own interaction. Which is okay, but it can be distracting to a story if you have to practise a new interaction every page... I have to test this.

Discovery This game has a fun feature. The story tells you what you need to do, by doing this, the story adjust and continues. It is done very simplistic, but it is a good example of how to create gameplay out of narrativity (or the other way around), it's logical.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten