zondag 22 januari 2012

Fieldresearch

A list of interesting articles, books and examples of interactive books


Articles about designing an Interactive Book
very good article by the designer of the Interactive Book: Alice in Wonderland
The article itself is not that intesting, but I like how people create their own augmented reality, combining analogue books with the ipad or iphone
An interactive book cover.


Good examples of interactive books
Alice in Wonderland, by Chris Stevens - Demibooks
Digital book, Mike Matas
note: I'm more focused on designing a childrens book, but this is still a good talk about the possibilities of Interaction in books)
The fantastic flying books of mr. Morris Lessmore, Moonbot
note: I love the visuals in this book, it's almost an animation (which is not that strange, since this is made by (ex) Pixar animators.
The wizard of Oz (Ozbook) There are a lot of different interactions in this interactive book, using a lot of the possibilities of the Ipad. These interactions are related to the story. It is a very playful book.
Slice of Bread goes to the Beach This is a very playful interactive book, with all the different interactions. I also like the beginning, where you can see the breadroaster car drive away. This is nicely animated and modeled. I like the combination between 2-d and 3-d. I'm not a good modeller myself, but I don't animate that quickly. But this way of animating is much more do-able than The Fantastic Flying Books of mr. Morris Lessmore.


Other examples of interactive books (both good and bad)
Peter Rabbit What is good about this book is the way they allow children to read along, which makes this book also a learning experience. I like the authentic feel of the book, it's beautifully visualised. But (with some exeptions, like the falling leaves) the interactions that are used can be used in normal pop-out books as well. Ofcourse, this is clearly a designchoice, but I think it's more interesting to explore more possibilities in interaction.


Bad examples of interactive books
20 thinks I learned about browsers and the web, Google
note: this is not an interesting interactive book, this is just a simulation of a book
Changing a story I like the idea of having an interactive story, but in this 'interactive book' changing a subject doesn't have any effect in the rest of the story. And again, no further interesting interactions.
ePub3 make your own interactive book again, just another book simulator. You can make your own book, but it is very limited to ePub3's idea of what an interactive book is.
Ebook Well, at least they don't call this an interactive book. But I would like to test this on my targetaudience, see what they think of this, is this really fun?




Books I want to buy for research
The Interactive Book: A Guide to the Interactive Revolution
Celia Pearce

Inspiration
pop up book animation
living canvas
watercolor
another watercolor

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten