woensdag 29 februari 2012

Doubt

The more I'm doing research, the more I'm doubting about designing an interactive childrens e-book. My fascination lies in the imagination of children, how they can play with everything they've got in their reach, coming up with ideas so easely. I like to play together with children because playing with them reminds me how free my mind can flow, nothing feels more free than going along in the imagination of a child. It's your basic self that comes forward during play.

Also, my strength as a designer lies in quick concepting. Coming up with a lot of concepts, test them with children, see how they work (or don't work) and why and come up with new concepts out of these prototypes. At the moment I'm not in that fase, but I feel like I should be. I'm doing things too serious and that blocks my creativity and imagination.
I'm not a programmer, I'm not good with hardware. But the first prototypes always can be done analog. I think there is more for me in quickly creating new prototypes, coming up with new toys and use the knowledge I get out of these test to learn about the imagination of children.

I want to be more expressive, spontanious.. impulsive in my process, because that is how I am as a person and as a designer. And that is where my best ideas come from.

I realize that my research question is not a question that really comes out of my fascination, only partly. It is for children. But it is also because I saw a gap in a certain market. That was the main reason I wanted to research how to add play in an interactive childrens book for the Ipad. But I think I should leave the whole adding play to something. Because an interactive childrens book already has playvalue in it, it has fantasyplay, at the least. Only thing I'm doing is using my skills as a play designer. Which is alright, but I'm stuck. Because I'm taking this all too serious.

So I want to take a step back. Go analog. Research play. How kids use their imagination and how I can use toys to get the best out of their imagination. Imaginative toys. Maybe I could do research about the imagination of children, how it works. Why can a child have more fun with a cardboard box than a Pleo for instance. And how can I use this in creating my own toy?

I need to refrase my graduation project and supportive narrative.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten