woensdag 8 februari 2012

Navigation in an interactive book


So after doing a lot of research, I thought I should put some thoughts on paper, so that I can verbalize what I'm thinking:

As I already told before, I don't want to create an interactive book with an old book format (like Peter Rabbit). It's okay to use analogue books as a theme, but don't simulate it.

I like Hobolobo, where you can scroll through a story, and where actions (like text or animations) are triggered at sudden points.

I love how Ghibly and Level 5 worked together to create a game. It's beautifully made, but to me the gameplay doesn't seem that innovative, it's just another pokemon. But non the less it is a good example of combining story with gameplay.

(Alice in Wonderland) for the Ipad is nice, but to my opinion still too much based on an analogue childrens book. Every page has an interaction and when you're done with it, you flip to the next page. Do these interactions really add something to the story? I don't think so. (It does add something to the book itself though).

The Fantastic Books of mr. Morris Lessmore is good. The story is still devided into 'pages', but every page has an interaction that is based on actions in the story itself.

I think Machinarium is a great example of how an interactive book should be. It's not an interactive book, Machinarium is approached as a game. But there is a story in Machinarium, which is told without words, but still understandable, because you experience the story through the 'interactions' you do.
It is funny to see that the way this game is devided into levels, a story is devided into chapters. I think that chapters are more important than pages for interactive books.
The way you can navigate through this game is a littlebit like Hobolobo, a sidescroller. But instead of scrolling with your mouse, you're walking with your character!


SO what I actually wanted to post is the following:

There are several ways to navigate through a story:
1: Pages.
Every page has an illustration and you can interact with this illustration (Alice in Wonderland).
2: Scrolling.
You can scroll through one big illustration and the illustration reacts on you when you get to sudden points (Hobolobo).
3:
Control a character. You walk around with your character, let him interact with the illustration for instance.
This could be 2D (like Machinarium) or 3D (Hogworld)

I think these are the main ways of navigating through an interactive book, but ofcourse there are a lot of variations between it.



My aim is probably a bit between Hobolobo and Machinarium. 2D, not devided into pages but in chapters, using main character(s) and interactions are based on actions in the story.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten